Top 20 Best Excursions in Punta Cana in 2022
Punta Cana is the premier holiday destination in the Dominican Republic. The best hotels and restaurants are located there. Azure water and clean white sand attract attention. Not only ordinary travelers like to relax on the beaches, but also celebrities from all over the world. You can visit the resort all year round, as the weather is always pleasant there. It is worth exploring the vacation and visiting the best excursions in Punta Cana!
Excursions in Punta Cana are one of the best in the Dominican Republic. The reasons are beautiful white coral beaches and clear azure water. For such views, everyone wants to go from any corner of the world. That is why the Dominican Republic is becoming an increasingly popular tourist destination. So, lets talk about the top tours in Punta Cana.
1. Saona Island Excursion
Isla Saona is the most popular destination in the entire Dominican Republic. During this excursion tourists will see beautiful white beaches, azure sea, and swaying palm trees.
Saona tour program
The tour will begin with a ride on a speedboat that will quickly take everyone to the island. On the way, there will be the first stop in the natural pool. You can swim in it and see the underwater world in detail. There are many activities available on the island itself. For example, you can take a dip in the azure water, relax on a sun lounger or visit a local open bar. Beach volleyball is also available.
If you feel hungry, then you should visit the restaurant. They serve Dominican lunches with salads, chicken, and fruit. Rice serves as a side dish. Delicatessen lovers will be able to enjoy the VIP menu with expensive drinks and lobsters. In Saona, in no case should you rush, otherwise, you will not be able to see all the local flavor.
The tour is not suitable for people with disabilities, pregnant women, and tourists with back problems.
2. Salto La Jalda Helicopter Tour
Enjoy probably one of the best excursions in Punta Cana for extreme lovers – magnificent views of the Dominican Republic from a bird’s eye view! Book a helicopter tour! Fly over Punta Cana, white sand beaches, quiet local villages, and the highest waterfall in the Caribbean, Salto La Jalda.
Helicopter tour program
Departure from the reception of your hotel. Travel time is 20-30 minutes. You will be offered coffee, water, or juice while you wait for your flight. Then you will have a helicopter flight according to the chosen program and a return transfer to the hotel. Watch the rushing waters rush over the rocks, then enjoy the peace and tranquility of nature while you’re at Esmeralda’s most amazing pristine beach!
3. Macao Surfing Tour
The Dominican Republic is located on part of the island of Haiti, so it has access to the sea and ocean from almost all sides. This creates excellent conditions for the formation of high waves near its shores and makes surfing one of the most common entertainments in the Dominican Republic.
Best season for surfing
- The most suitable season for a holiday in the country lasts from late autumn to mid-spring. During this period, rainfall is unlikely in the Dominican Republic, the air temperature is usually around 30°C. However, hot is not felt here, since a breeze is constantly blowing from the ocean.
- The rest of the year is also warm, but it rains regularly. Precipitation usually falls at night.
- In the period from September to October, storms and hurricanes are added to the rains, which are especially felt in the northern part of the coast.
Opportunities for surfing
- In the north of the country, the ideal time for surfing is the period from mid-autumn to mid-spring. When winter comes to our latitudes, in the Dominican Republic, thermometers show an average of +28°C, and the water temperature is at around +26°C.
- In the south of the coast, athletes conquer the waves in the summer, despite the rainy season. As noted, precipitation is typical for night time, and excellent conditions for surfing are established during the day.
Great waves can be caught off the coast of Punta Cana. This popular resort among our tourists is characterized by the presence of comfortable waves, especially in the Macao Beach area, where there are practically no hotels. Instructors will conduct a training on land before sending you to the water.
You will learn safety rules, learn how to get your stance right to maintain balance, and be able to row. When you are on the water, you will have a personal assistant. If you already have experience in surfing, then you can attend classes for professionals.
Even if you have never stood on the board, you will succeed, do not even hesitate!
4. Buggy Extreme Trip
Have you been wanting a thrill for a long time? Then a trip on a buggy or polaris to the most beautiful places in Punta Cana will be a great option. The tourists will drive the transport themselves to get the most pleasant impressions.
Buggy excursion program
First, you need to meet with the driver of the vehicle. He will give you a short briefing and give you the keys. It is possible to rebuild the route on your own and visit even more places of interest. Along the way, you can stop near a typical Dominican house. They will tell and demonstrate the method of making cocoa, coffee, and real cigarettes without impurities.
All manufactured products can be tested. The final point of the route will be a visit to Macao Beach. It is in the top 10 of the best in the world. A special dirt road has been laid to it, which can be easily overcome on a buggy or ATV. The impressions of the trip will last a lifetime!
A buggy ride is ideal for a group of friends or a couple who have long wanted to get an adrenaline rush. The route will take place in the countryside of the resort, surrounded by beautiful nature.
5. Samaná Bay Excursion
You can discover the entire Dominican Republic in one day. To do this, you need to visit Samaná Bay and Bacardi Island (Cayo Levantado). It is there that you can have a great rest, ride horses and swim in the clear azure sea.
Samana tour program
Getting unforgettable impressions will begin even at the moment of moving to the Samaná Bay. This place has a large number of attractions and beautiful nature that will not leave anyone indifferent. The total duration of the tour is 12 hours. At the request of travelers, the time can be increased.
The next stop will be the island of Cayo Levantado or Bacardi. There, tourists can soak up the white sand, go to a bar or swim in the sea. The stop will last about 2 hours, so there will be enough time for everything. In Cayo Levantado, you can try the local cuisine or walk to the ranch to book a horse ride. On the final note, the tourist group will go to the El Limón waterfall, and then ride a fast catamaran along the Samaná Bay.
Tropical music will play throughout the trip, which will help you immerse yourself in the local atmosphere.
6. Higüey City Tour
A shopping tour of Higüey is a great opportunity to have fun, see new places, and make pleasant purchases. The tour offers a pick-up service directly from the hotel. There is no need to look for transport on your own.
Higüey excursion program
The tour starts from the moment you board the transport. The journey will take about an hour. During this time, you can see the beautiful nature outside the window and see several small settlements. There will be a guide on the bus. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. The following places will be visited in Higüey:
- Cathedral of Our Lady of Altagracia.
- Basilica Catedral Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia.
- Small Roman Catholic Basilica.
- To feel the local flavor, you need to go to the local park and market. This is where real life and beauty boils.
The next stop will be in the city of Bávaro. There are a lot of souvenir shops there. It will be possible to buy something for yourself or your loved ones as a gift. After shopping, transport will take tourists back to their hotels.
7. Adventure Park Off-road
If you have long wanted to be a driver of an ATV, then an excursion on a Polaris 4×4 will be an excellent option. The route will pass through the famous national park and coastal zone.
Off-road tour program
The off-road tour lasts 2 hours and starts from Punta Cana. Tourists have a unique opportunity to admire the beauty of the coast and visit the highest part of the island. This is where the Caribbean Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean.
Along the way, you will meet beautiful dunes and a small coastal town. Here you can have a hearty lunch of local cuisine and get to know the locals. There is also a park with a pool and a waterfall. This is a great place to relax and take a break from the hot weather. You can get to the collection point using a transfer that will pick up tourists directly from the hotel.
If you have long wanted fascinating pictures, then you should definitely buy this tour.
Best excursions in Punta Cana for lovers
of nature and animals
In the Dominican Republic, locals value nature very much and do everything to preserve it. They do not pursue economic development at the expense of the ecological situation. Over the past few years, nature in the DR has not changed. There are also many nature reserves and lush greenery. It is ideal for those people who love and protect nature. Below are the best excursions in Punta Cana for flora and fauna lovers.
8. Excursion with Dolphins
Dolphins are amazing creatures that give a feeling of calmness and love. In Punta Cana, there is a special tour that allows you to get to know them as closely as possible. There is a unique opportunity to watch dolphins, which beautifully jump over obstacles and people.
Dolphins excursion program
The excursion offers to spend time in the Caribbean, swimming and interacting with dolphins in their natural habitat. Tourists will have a unique and unforgettable experience and learn about terrestrial and marine biodiversity conservation. During the tour, you will learn about the nutrition of dolphins and their lifestyle. The information is useful for people of all ages. The instructors will not only teach you how to swim with dolphins correctly, but also show you some entertaining tricks. After such a performance, no one will remain indifferent!
9. Whales in Samana
On the island of Samaná, there is a unique reserve, which is under the strictest protection of the state. In this place, everyone can watch the whales that come out of the water. The tour also includes a visit to Bacardi Island.
Whales tour program
The starting point is Punta Cana or Bávaro. A bus will pick up travelers from the hotel and take them on a journey along rural roads, which are surrounded on all sides by beautiful natural views. People will be able to discover magical places where the brightest representatives of the animal world of the Caribbean Islands are concentrated. Next, you will have to walk to a private pier to board a motorboat that will take you to the whale habitat. You can only watch them from a long distance, so you should not worry about safety.
Bacardi Island will also be visited, where you can discover its biodiversity with crystal clear waters and magnificent white sand. As a final touch, there will be a stop with delicious and light lunch.
10. Jaraguá National Park
Among the hotels, modern entertainment in the Dominican Republic, many natural treasures are hidden. A tour to Jaraguá will help you discover the natural treasures of the region and see the most amazing places with wild beaches, rich flora and fauna, as well as visit the mountainous region of the DR. The tour is designed for two days with an overnight stay in a cozy hotel in a town called Pedernales.
The tour includes:
- Departure to the Jaraguá National Park;
- Lunch in the national style at the fish market, prepared from freshly caught seafood and fish;
- Visit the rocky region of Barahona;
- Inspection of the De Oviedo lagoon with the largest colony of flamingos living there;
- Inspection of the island inhabited by iguanas;
- Observation of the natural habitat of rare birds;
- Mountain excursion to an amazing place with amazing views of the azure sea and snow-white beaches;
- Visit Bahiá de las Águilas.
If the first day is devoted to acquaintance with the habitats of birds and animals of the national park, then on the second day, travelers will be able to admire the panorama from a beautiful place on the cliff and swim in the sea, relaxing on the warm white sand of the bay. The tour will allow you to take many wonderful color-rich photos.
11. Redonda Mountain
If you want to pamper your Instagram with amazing photos and tickle your nerves with adrenaline, a tourist in the Dominican Republic definitely goes to Redonda Mountain. You can get there on your own in a rented car or by ordering a comprehensive tour.
- The flat top of the hill is located 60 km from the resort area of Punto Cana – a popular holiday destination for tourists from different countries.
- Navigator coordinates for those who travel around these parts in a rented car: 18.982256, −68.916817.
- Redonda is located 3 km from the coast of the Caribbean Sea, so from its top there are beautiful views of both the tropical jungle and the azure expanse of the pool.
- The road to it goes between the lagoon of the same name and Lemon Bay, the height of the mountain is only 330 meters.
Several structures for photoshoots are installed on Redonda. The most popular is the “heavenly” swing, there are several of them. This is an ordinary swing, but on the edge of a mountain, and if you take pictures from a certain angle, you will get the impression that the swing is right in the sky. For the same illusions, brooms are also used – the main thing is to jump higher so that the ground is not visible.
12. Saona Helicopter Tour
As in any other country, in the Dominican Republic, you can fly by helicopter to enjoy the extraordinary beauty of land landscapes and the turquoise smoothness of the Atlantic Ocean with cruise liners and small boats from a bird’s eye view. What else awaits travelers during a fascinating excursion:
- an unforgettable flight of about an hour over the ocean coast;
- visit to the amazing island of Saona with sightseeing;
- beach holidays among coconut palms;
- tasting delicious local dishes in a cozy coastal restaurant;
- photographing, including during the flight and at the stage of preparation for it.
After breakfast at the hotel, tourists will be taken by a comfortable bus to the launch site, where a modern helicopter is waiting for them. But first, the instructor, together with the first-class crew, will talk about safety, rules of conduct in the air. Equipment, safety equipment, the principle of operation of a helicopter – travelers will learn about all this. This is especially necessary for those who are afraid to fly for any reason.
The next stage is the helicopter flight itself. First, tourists will fly over the Atlantic Ocean. Since this part of the amazing aerial adventure lasts almost half an hour, there is a high chance of seeing humpback whales coming here to breed. Inspection of the paradise green paradise island continues.
The helicopter will land at a special site on Saona Island. Several hours of free time are provided. Saona is the largest of the Caribbean islands with water as warm as fresh milk. Here you can swim, sunbathe, and wander through the jungle. Local dishes and soft drinks will be served in a small cozy cafe.
13. Private Fishing Tour
The Dominican Republic offers a wide range of recreational opportunities. One of the popular entertainments is fishing in the DR. Fans of this activity have a rare opportunity to catch a graceful marlin or a huge tuna. On the Caribbean Sea, you can visit the places of Boca Chica, Baní, Bayahibe, the reserve in the Saona area. The sea is not so generous with large fish, but you can catch many other species that live near the coral reef located off the southern coast.
When setting out on a fishing trip, you should know
important tour information:
- The duration of ocean fishing is 4 to 5 hours, and half of this time can be spent waiting for big fish to bite.
- Before booking a tour, you should check whether lunch and drinks are included in the price. Different companies offer different services.
- To catch large prey, it is recommended to move as far into the ocean as possible. The largest species live at great depths and far from the coast. Therefore, for such fishing it is worth chartering a boat for a long time.
- There is always a wind in the ocean, so there are waves and the ship is stormy. For problems with motion sickness, it is recommended to take medication in advance.
When participating in collective fishing, all catch belongs to the organizers, since it is usually forbidden to bring the catch to the hotel. However, there is a good alternative – to pay extra for the catch to be prepared. Sometimes this service is offered during the trip, and sometimes in the restaurant upon arrival. If you do not want to go fishing and surf the ocean, but have a desire to try fresh fish, you can negotiate with fishermen who will not refuse to sell their catch.
The Dominican Republic often becomes the venue for various international fishing competitions. So, such events are regularly held in La Romana. The organizers of the competitions are the International Sport Fishing Committee.
Fantastic Yacht Trip to Catalina Islandfrom $1795 Read more
4-Hour Fishing Experience on Fortuna 42 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $690 Read more
4-Hour Fishing Experience on Sherlock 39 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $629 Read more
6-Hour Fishing Experience on Sherlock 39 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $789 Read more
3-Hour Snorkeling Tour on Fortuna 42 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $449 Read more
14. Snorkeling on Catalina Island
There are not many places in the world where you can see the beauty of the underwater kingdom without scuba gear. Snorkeling in the Dominican Republic is considered one of the best on all and any coasts. Due to the proximity of coral reefs, entertainment is available even for kids.
Catalina tour program
The tour group will be delivered to the hotel by transfer. A modern yacht with tropical snacks and instructors will be waiting at the pier. The instructors will talk about the rules of snorkeling on the high seas. The first stop will be on the east side of Catalina Island. It is there that there is a point for diving into the water with a mask. Life jackets will be available for purchase at the same location.
During the voyage, you will be offered delicious snacks and drinks. As soon as the snorkeling program is over, a boat will sail for the tourist group. It will take you to the other side of the island, where you can continue your vacation. There are a large number of bars with a varied menu.
To make the review of the underwater world comfortable, it is important to follow the tour rules.
Catalina Island tour rules:
- In the Dominican Republic, entertainment is available to everyone, regardless of age. Gentle descents into the water, a variety of living creatures will give a lot of pleasant impressions.
- For snorkeling, take a mask, snorkel, and fins. If the water seems cool, put on a wetsuit.
- Before entering the water, wipe the mask from the inside, dip into the water. So the glass will not sweat. The snorkel is attached to the mask before the face protection is put on.
- The mask is fixed with straps on the head. Before tightening the straps, you should try on the equipment, this will help determine the correct size.
- Equipment can be brought from home, bought locally or rented. In the Dominican Republic, snorkeling is one of the most popular recreational activities, so equipment is available everywhere and is very inexpensive.
The tour gives tourists the opportunity to see the magical underwater world of Punta Cana with their own eyes. A gastronomic tour will appeal to all lovers of beautiful nature.
15. Altos de Chavón
The Bávaro resort is located near the famous Chavón River, which is often used for filming picturesque scenes for films. It has already appeared in Anaconda, Apocalypse, and many other action films. Cameramen and directors are attracted by the picturesque shores and unique tropical mango thickets.
But the beauty of landscapes is not all that the river boasts. On its banks, there are many caves, unusual villages, and other attractions. Don’t miss the opportunity to book this one of the best excursions in Punta Cana!
Altos de Chavón tour program
Altos de Chavón is a magnificent medieval village that rises above the Chavón River. Before visiting, you should know that this settlement was created from scratch quite recently by a small group of artisans. In this place, you can get to know the locals better and learn the details about the Dominican Republic.
Curious people who love everything beautiful will appreciate the opportunity to make an individual excursion to the city of Artists. The tour lasts all day. During this time, you will be able to learn details about the historical aspects of the Dominican Republic, as well as visit the village of Altos de Chavón, where the locals are busy with handicrafts.
During the tour, travelers can visit:
- “Cave of Miracles” (Cueva de las Maravillas) – there are many halls dotted with stalactites, inside there is a natural pool, and the walls are dotted with drawings left by an ancient tribe;
- The village of Altos de Chavón – is a creative settlement in which artists live and work, there is the Academy of Arts and Design, as well as many galleries with exhibited works of art, the architecture of the settlement, is especially interesting, repeating the Spanish buildings of the Middle Ages;
- Archaeological Museum revealing the secrets and history of the local Taíno tribe;
- An amphitheater built in the Greek style, where world celebrities often perform;
- Village of millionaires, which houses the buildings of various famous people who love to spend their free days on a tropical island;
- A cigar workshop where travelers can see how cigars are made by hand and buy a few souvenirs for themselves.
The tour gives you the opportunity to visit the most popular attractions in the Bávaro resort area with an individual guide who knows all the details and is able to captivate any traveler with his story. During the tour, you can have a bite to eat at any place you like or rely on the guide’s advice.
16. Los Haitises National Park
What can be found away from the main tourist routes? Of course, silence, tranquility, and unexplored interesting corners of nature that are not disturbed by many voices and camera flashes. The nature of the Antilles is carefully protected by the state and almost the entire territory is occupied by national parks.
Travelers are greeted with clean air without harmful fumes and smoke, snow-white beaches, and crystal-clear water. The territory of the beaches is cleaned daily from various algae and debris right in the morning. Thanks to this, guests of the islands can visit the beach at any time and find it immaculately clean.
But it is pleasant to diversify the resort holiday with a visit to the Los Haitises National Park. The sightseeing tour starts from the hotel lobby or any place chosen for the meeting. The guide arrives in the selected car, and the tour begins.
Tour program includes:
- Scenic road from the hotel to the first stop;
- Tour of Los Haitises National Park;
- Rafting on an individual boat;
- Inspection of mangroves;
- Lunch at a selected restaurant;
- Inspection of mountain springs and bathing in them;
- Further walk through the sights of the park;
- Return to the hotel.
The transport for travelers is completely comfortable and modern. When choosing a restaurant, you can take the advice of a guide and visit the best local establishments with fresh dishes, or visit one of the restaurants of European cuisine.
17. Santo Domingo Tour
One of the best excursions in Punta Cana is a tour to Santo Domingo. It involves a fascinating trip to the city of Santo Domingo. A tourist will get acquainted with the rich history there, visit beautiful places, and imbue with color. Such an opportunity cannot be missed.
Santo Domingo tour program
- The first point will be a visit to the Los Tres Ojos cave. Its name directly says that below, at a depth of 15 meters, there are 3 lakes with crystal clear water. Each of them differs in color and chemical structure. Next, the tour group will visit the Columbus Lighthouse. Until now, the remains of the world-famous Admiral Christopher Columbus are kept there.
- Further, the path will be laid through the ancient part of the old city, which is saturated with Spanish flavor. Travelers will be able to see the first church and the street of the New World with their own eyes. Additionally, the house of Diego Columbus and the ancient fort, which was built in the distant 16th century, will be visited.
A rich program will not let you get bored!
Active nightlife in Punta Cana
Punta Cana is famous not only fo its amazing beaches and 5-stars hotels and resorts, but also for its active nightlife and night clubs with fabulous shows. So, lets take a look at the list of the most popular of them in 2022.
18. “Coco Bongo” Nightclub
Coco Bongo is one of the most famous and popular clubs in Latin America and we can confidently put it on the list of the best excursions in Punta Cana. An ideal place for lovers of noisy fun, bright special effects, and exciting scenarios. Coco Bongo is known all over the world for its ability to put on a great show.
First, the lights in the club will fade, and then bright confetti will fall from the ceiling, and famous world hits will play. The action is so incendiary that no one can resist, and everyone will start dancing. If you are a fan of nightlife and noisy parties, then you should definitely visit this place.
- It is built in the form of a circus; at the same time, it can accommodate about a thousand people.
- On the stage of this entertainment venue, guests are shown about 25 different shows during the evening. Aerial acrobats and artists take part in them.
- The performance is accompanied by loud music, bright fireworks, and flying ribbons.
Artists meet spectators at the buses, show a small performance, and then call them inside the center. The evening performance starts around 23:00 and continues until 3:30 in the morning. Tourists, when buying tickets, receive a transfer in both directions (to the center and back to the hotel) as a bonus.
Guests who find themselves in the entertainment center “Coco Bogo” immediately after entering get into the holiday atmosphere. Entrance to the club is allowed only for adults.
19. “ORO” Nightclub
The nightclub is located in the hotel “HARD ROCK”. Guests can get here by taxi or by rented transport. At the entrance to the hotel, you need to warn the guards that you are heading to the ORO nightclub, they will wish you a great party and open the gates. The club is beautiful and modern, it has trendy dance music, and a variety of cocktails are offered to visitors at the bar.
We recommend paying attention to the ORO nightclub, where you can not only dance and watch performances by artists but also enjoy free cocktails in the casino. Visitors note the quality of lighting and sound, as well as delicious cocktails.
20. “IMAGINE” Nightclub
One of the halls of the club is a cave. The nightclub “IMAGINE” is located next to the shopping center “San Juan”. Guests are brought to it on special buses. The transfer is provided from the hotel to the club and back, it is included in the ticket price. A modern dance club is located in a real cave with stalagmites and stalactites.
- Guests, immediately after entering the IMAGINE nightclub, find themselves in a real fairy tale (visitors note the unusual beauty of the club’s interiors).
- Club ticket with all-inclusive or ticket + two drinks option.
- There are several halls inside the club, and each of them has its own music.
The club is in demand among tourists who speak Spanish. Guests note the club’s specialization in Latin American music and American compositions.
As a conclusion
There are so many wonderful places to visit in the Dominican Republic! As a conclusion, we would like to give you some useful tips during visiting the best excursions in Punta Cana and your trip to the Dominican Republic. Each country has its own characteristics and laws. Every traveler needs to know them so as not to get into an unpleasant situation. The following rules will come in handy:
- Do not drink drinks in unverified places. Water is often poured directly from the water supply, but it does not go through the purification procedure at all. There is a high chance of catching an infection and getting sick. It is best to drink bottled water.
- On any walk, you need to take a bottle of water with you. In stores, it is quite expensive and is not sold everywhere.
- No need to carry all the money and valuables with you. If the hotel room has a safe, you can put them there. It will not be superfluous to make copies of documents just in case.
- Best excursions in Punta Cana you should book in advance, otherwise, you risk not visiting them.
- When dining in a restaurant, check the bill carefully. By accident or intentionally, it may contain drinks of friends with whom the traveler came. Also, don’t forget the 10% tip. They are already included in the price initially.
- Toward evening in the Dominican Republic, there are problems with electricity. It can disappear completely or be with very low voltage. In certain areas, such a problem can be encountered during the day.
- You should not pay for any services in advance. This is only allowed in the hotel.
- Don’t skimp on tips. If you like the room service, then you can give some money to the employee. This is very welcome in the Dominican Republic. Tips are best given in local currency. Employees will also accept dollars, but the exchange rate will be unfavorable.
- The most favorable exchange rates are available only at ATMs. If the tourist decided to withdraw cash from a bank card, then it would be best to go to the bank. It is safer there and more likely that the ATM will not “eat” the card.
- Before traveling, you need to get vaccines against polio, typhoid, and hepatitis B. In neighboring countries there is a risk of catching malaria, so you should always be on your guard.
- For safety reasons, do not use motorcycle taxis. Up to three people can sit behind the driver, which violates the rules of transportation. There is a high risk of getting into an accident or simply tipping over. It is best to take a regular taxi.
Updated on: . Author: