Fishing Charters and Tours in Punta Cana
Chat with our Consultants!
Show filtersShow categories
Fantastic Yacht Trip to Catalina Islandfrom $1795 Read more
4-Hour Fishing Experience on Fortuna 42 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $690 Read more
4-Hour Fishing Experience on Sherlock 39 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $629 Read more
6-Hour Fishing Experience on Sherlock 39 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $789 Read more
3-Hour Snorkeling Tour on Fortuna 42 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $449 Read more
6-Hour Fishing Experience on Fortuna 42 Boat – Bavaro, Punta Canafrom $840 Read more
Deep Sea 9-Hour Fishing Charter for 8 Peoplefrom $1479 Read more
Full Day Deep Sea Fishing Charter for 6 Peoplefrom $1359 Read more
Types of fishing in the Dominican Republic
You will be surprised how many activities you can do in Punta Cana: fishing charter, snorkeling, diving, surfing, zipline, buggy, cruises, etc. Here you can do the coolest fishing in your life. Since the Caribbean tourism industry is mainly concentrated on the other islands in the region, fishermen do not have to deal with large crowds of people on the island and at sea. It gives vacationers and avid anglers the opportunity to truly relax.
Fishing is one of the favorite pastimes of vacationers. To do this, the Dominican Republic has access to the Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea. Tourists are offered the following fishing options:
- From the beach. Having the simplest fishing equipment, you can risk fishing from the pier. However, in this case, you should not count on a major trophy. More often a trifle comes across, such as sardines, but sometimes it is possible to pull out a parrot fish or moray eels.
- Bottom fishing. Represents fishing from a boat in a plumb line. With this method, you can fish out flounder and moray eels.
- Trolling. It is the most effective and popular way of fishing. It is aimed at those who count on a big catch. A fishing rod with live or artificial bait is thrown from the boat. The fish are biting while the boat is moving. You can catch marlin, barracuda, tuna using this method. If you want to try it, we highly recommend finding a fishing charter in advance. In Punta Cana, for example, everything can be booked months in advance.
If vacationers want to go fishing alone, they must purchase a special permit – licencia de pesca. You can buy it at the nearest port.
Options of fishing charters
Fishing charters in Punta Cana are offered by tourist organizations. To do this, they must have a license, rescue equipment and all gear. Travelers are offered a variety of travel options:
- Individual fishing. This is the most luxurious, but the most expensive option. It will cost no less than $600.
- Group fishing. Fishing in a group is more affordable. The price starts from $150.
- Trip as a companion. In this case, the tourists do not rely on fishing tackle, they can only watch the process. Such pleasure costs from $100.
Prices for such services vary greatly and depend on the size of the group, the duration of the trip, the level of the vessel. Trips are organized on luxury yachts or motor boats.
Best place for fishing in the Dominican Republic
Punta Cana remains a very cool place in this country for any fisherman. The area has ideal conditions during most of the year. In the Punta Cana area, you can catch a variety of fish including marlin, dorado, tuna, swordfish, and mackerel.
Fishing for marlin in Punta Cana is a very interesting challenge. The marlin fishing season in Punta Cana starts in March and lasts until September. Here you can catch white marlin (from March to July) and blue marlin (from July to September). During these months, large flocks of these fish swim about 3-10 km from the coast. Various clubs and groups organize marlin fishing tournaments.
Prices for a fishing charter in Punta Cana
Renting a personal boat in our company costs from $629 for 4 hours for 6 people. And it doesn’t matter if you are alone, or in a group of 6 people. But if you divide this amount by six, you get only ~$105 for a person. You will receive all the necessary equipment for fishing, help on the boat, as well as drinks, which are included in the price.
What you need to know about fishing charters in Punta Cana
- You need a license if you want to fish on your own. It is not always easy and fast to obtain. However, when booking a tour, you get it with all the necessary permissions.
- If you want to fish for lobsters, crabs and sea clams, then be aware that from March 1 to June 30 the fishing season is closed for catching lobsters and crabs, and from July 1 to October 31 for catching sea clams.
- Marlins are caught and released, and the rest of the fish is well-deserved prey.
- If you are really sure that you want to try deep sea fishing in the Dominican Republic, it is highly recommended to book everything in advance. Every year, for this purpose, many amateur and professional fishermen come here, who are the first to book the best fishing charters in Punta Cana.
- We strongly do not recommend booking fishing tours in hotels. With a high probability it will not be professional fishing. Today, hotels have their own boats, but rather for additional income, and not for you to enjoy the process. They don’t care if you get a catch or not.
- Most likely, you will have to release your catch back into the ocean. You can leave some of it if you just arrange with the nearest local restaurant to cook the fish for you. This information can be checked with our team when booking a fishing charter in Punta Cana.
- In the ocean, the wind blows continuously. Less so in the Caribbean. But if you move away from the coast, then the wind and pitching are inevitable. Therefore, if you are not all right with the vestibular apparatus, we advise you to stock up on pills for motion sickness.
Frequently Asked Questions
about fishing charters in Punta Cana
1. What are the best Fishing Charters in Punta Cana?
Among the best fishing charters in Punta Cana are Fortuna 42 and Sherlock 39. They are ideal for fishing in a company or alone.
2. Is fishing good in Punta Cana?
Punta Cana is one of the most attractive places in the world for both amateur and professional fishermen. Deep sea fishing is quite popular here, as well as annual world competitions, which makes fishing charters in Punta Cana even more attractive.
3. What fish do you catch in Punta Cana?
Among the most popular species of fish, you can catch on a fishing charter in Punta Cana are barracuda, king mackerel, yellowfin tuna, sailfish (the fastest fish in the world), Atlantic white marlin, Atlantic blue marlin, dorado, mahi mahi, and others. By the way, marlin can only be caught by trolling.
4. Is there deep sea fishing in the Dominican Republic?
If you are interested in deep sea fishing, then the Atlantic Ocean is a great choice. The waters of the Atlantic Ocean are rich in a wide variety of fish species. For instance, white and blue marlin, king mackerel, Atlantic sailfish, barracuda, tuna, etc. Punta Cana is famous for these species of fish, since it is located where the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea meet.
Just imagine your emotions when you catch one of these fish species! And you will also be pleasantly surprised that in Punta Cana for good fishing you do not need to sail far and long from the dock.
5. Does the Dominican Republic have good fishing?
Yes, definitely! The Dominican Republic, and Punta Cana in particular, is one of the top fishing spots in the world. It also annually hosts competitions among professionals. The organizers of the competitions are the International Sport Fishing Committee.
6. Where is the best fishing in the Dominican Republic?
The most successful locations for fishing in the Dominican Republic are in the Atlantic. Here you should pay attention to:
- Samana Peninsula, where you can also watch humpback whales.
- Punta Cana. This famous resort is washed by the waters of the Atlantic Ocean and fishing here can be successful.
- Puerto Plata. Another popular tourist destination for
7. Can you bring fish back from the Dominican Republic?
It all depends on the country you are flying to and your airline. For example, the United States allows you to bring fish and meat, but with certain conditions.
8. Can you fish from the beach in Punta Cana?
An ordinary tourist is not forbidden to fish in the Dominican Republic from the beach. But in this case, do not expect any serious catch. Small reef fish is the maximum. Due to the constant tourist flow, boats and ferries, all serious fish moved deep into the ocean.
By the way, it is worth noting that the Atlantic Ocean is needed for serious fishing. The Caribbean is a sea of tourists, not fishermen. If you want to get an unforgettable experience and a good catch during your holiday in Punta Cana, we recommend using fishing charters.
9. Do you need a license to fish in the Dominican Republic?
Licencia de pesca is a special license for professionals. It is mandatory if you decide to go to the ocean alone. You can find how to get it at the nearest port.