Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) – All information that you need in 2024: covid, statistics, transfers, hotels nearby
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) is the leading airport for travel to the Dominican Republic. So, it is convenient for many tourists since it offers direct flights from over 26 countries and 90 airports around the world.
PUJ is considered the second busiest airport in the Caribbean, since more than 6 million people come here every year. Its good location allows you to reach any of the popular tourist areas of Punta Cana in a few minutes. For a better understanding of the work of the airport, the situation with covid, hotels nearby and much more, we decided to write this article.
Punta Cana airport and COVID-19 situation
Well, we should say that the government of the Dominican Republic offers tourists the most loyal entry conditions. Why? Let us tell you the main requirements:
- First of all, there is no need to take a PCR test upon arrival, since workers randomly ask foreign travelers to take a rapid test.
- Secondly, if you are already tested for COVID-19 at home and the test was negative, you can just show it to workers. And they will not ask you to get randomized testing. But remember that your test is only active for 72 hours.
- Thirdly, when all air passengers return home must provide a negative COVID-19 test result, either documents about their recovery. Please note that at the moment, this restriction also applies to vaccinated people and those who have antibodies.
Moreover, we always recommend our guests check the information with your travel agency or airline. As you know, the requirements may be different for some countries. That is why you have to be sure about the information to avoid problems in your own country and in the Dominican Republic. You can also read our more detailed article on PCR tests in the Dominican Republic.
Total passenger arrivals by air in the DR
As everyone is well aware, now is the period of a pandemic, which obviously has a negative impact on tourism. Despite this, we have prepared a small table that can show you that tourism is resuming here. Tourists can enjoy a vacation in the DR, as resort town Punta Cana adheres to the necessary safety measures regarding COVID-19.
|Number of foreign visitors
|Most visited month
|5 354 017
|5 618 561
|5 357 619
|1 699 194
|1 297 644
* We should mention that the data for 2021 is only for the period of 8 months, from January to August. Moreover, July, which is considered the low season, had the highest number of tourists. That is why we are infinitely glad that the Dominican Republic can again welcome many guests.
In addition, we know that there is a distribution for the high and low seasons. Usually, the high season is winter and the low season is the end of summer. But, as we can see from the table, the most visited months are completely different. And this proves the fact that the Dominican Republic is warm all year round, so every month is good for visiting Punta Cana in its own way.
Hotels near Punta Cana airport
Even though Punta Cana is a small town where everything is close enough, many people like to be in a cozy hotel room immediately after landing in a few minutes. That is why we have prepared a small list of hotels that are close to Punta Cana airport. We should also mention that, in general, there are 4-star hotels near the airport. In addition, you will need to drive or walk to the beach.
- Four Points by Sheraton. This 4-star hotel has a quite high rating on different booking platforms. Moreover, it is just less than 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the airport. The great location gives you access to the shops, restaurants, golf clubs, and it is just 10 minutes drive to a stunning private beach.
- The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club. This hotel also has four stars, and guests rate the service highly. The Westin is just 5 minutes away from the Punta Cana airport. Their guests have access to the Six Senses Spa and golf courses with a total of 45 holes.
- Catalonia Punta Cana – All Inclusive. Finally, we have a stunning 5-star hotel located on the first line of the most famous Bavaro beach. Moreover, the hotel is about 8 kilometers (5 miles) from the airport.
- Tortuga Bay. So, here we have another modern 5-star hotel, which is just 5 kilometers (3.5 miles) from the Punta Cana airport. The design is made in a minimalistic but luxurious style, where the rooms have panoramic windows overlooking the ocean. Moreover, it is located on the first line, and it has its private zone on the beach. In addition, the hotel has a stunning ecological park on the territory
Accommodation and transfer option
Where to Stay in Punta Cana
In our opinion, the best alternative to hotels is villas and apartments. There are a huge number of them near the airport, and anywhere else you wish. By renting a villa, you get complete freedom, where you do not have some kind of regime like in a hotel. In addition, you can live in the most luxurious villas right by the water.
Luxury All Inclusive Villa Waterfall in Cocotal (Bavaro) – Pool, BBQ, Maid, Chef & Meal Planfrom $1347 / night Read more
Villa May – New Modern Beachfront 7BR Villa with Pool & Maid in Bavaro, Los Coralesfrom $1457 / night Read more
Private Villa at Punta Cana Resort & Club for Rent – Pool, Jacuzzi, BBQ, Maid, Private Cinema Roomfrom $1569 / night Read more
Modern and New Family Villa for Rent in Bavaro, Punta Cana – Quiet Gated Communityfrom $199 / night Read more
Villa in Bavaro, Punta Cana – Amazing 6 Bedroom Villa a Few Steps from the Beachfrom $349 / night Read more
Modern & Stylish 4-BR Family-friendly Villa Rental in a Quiet and Gated Community in Bávaro, Punta Canafrom $249 / night Read more
The stunning view and sound of the ocean will wake you up in the morning. Does not it sound like a dream? In addition, living for a while in a villa or apartment will allow you to feel the tropical vibe and the atmosphere of the Dominican Republic. Without a doubt, this is the best way to get closer to the wonderful culture of the country.
Condo for Rent in Punta Cana – Stunning Ocean View – Oreugafrom $413 / night Read more
Punta Cana Condo for Rent – Private Retreat on Los Corales Beachfrom $314 / night Read more
Dream Apartments for Rent in Punta Cana – Oreuga Ocean View Paradisefrom $331 / night Read more
Event Venue for Rent in Bavaro Beach, Punta Canafrom $2000 / night Read more
Quiet and Cozy Family Apartments for Rent – Directly on the Bavaro Beach, Punta Canafrom $166 / night Read more
Modern 2BR Apartment in a New Secure Residence – Paseo del Mar, near Bávaro Beach, Punta Canafrom $199 / night Read more
Punta Cana Airport transfers
Moreover, we have a perfect transfer option for you. Therefore, it does not matter in which area you choose your accommodation, because our driver will take you from the airport straight to your villa or apartment. In addition, we have different options for cars, from the most luxury VIP-car for newlyweds to minibuses for large groups or families.
Mercedes s350 VIP Transfer in Punta Canafrom $126 Read more
Chevrolet Suburban – VIP Transferfrom $97 Read more
Limo – VIP Transferfrom $134 Read more
Passenger Car or Minibus Up to 4 Peoplefrom $42 Read more
SUV or a Minivan (up to 6 People)from $52 Read more
Minibus Transportation Up To 8 Peoplefrom $62 Read more
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I fly to Punta Cana now?
Sure, the airports are fully operational now. The only thing you need to do is adhere to the rules set in place due to COVID-19. We should also mention that the requirements in the Dominican Republic are one of the most loyal.
2. Why is Punta Cana airport Code PUJ?
Well, PUJ is used as an acronym to represent Punta Cana airport.
3. How far is the airport from Punta Cana?
The town is about 15 minutes away from the Punta Cana International Airport.
4. How early should I get to Punta Cana airport?
Well, we recommend that you arrive 3 hours before the international departure time. This gives you time not to run in a panic and ample time for check-in, clear security, and immigration.
5. What month is the cheapest to fly to Punta Cana?
The low season in Punta Cana is about from August to November. That is why, the prices during this period are lower. So, probably the cheapest months to go to the Punta Cana are August and September.
6. Do I need a passport to go to Punta Cana?
Yes, you will need a valid passport with blank pages to enter the Dominican Republic. In addition, you will need a tourist card that allows you to stay in the country for up to 30 days. Usually, those who travel by plane receive a tourist card automatically when purchasing a ticket. However, you should check the information with your travel agency or airline.
7. Can US citizens travel to Dominican Republic without a passport?
No, you cannot travel to the Dominican Republic without a passport. But a good thing that you do not need a visa if you are a citizen of the United States.
8. Is it the rainy season in Punta Cana?
Well, you should always remember that the Dominican Republic has a tropical climate, which is why there are occasional rains here. So, the rainy season is from about May to August, the highest probability of precipitation during this period.
Updated on: . Author: