Punta Cana Travel Tips 2020
1. What are some suggestions for a first trip to Punta Cana?
Before visiting Punta Cana, consider the following advice:
- Make sure you have booked the best excursions around the Dominican Republic in advance. Buy excursions from a licensed tour operator.
- Do not rent a car from a car-rental agency without a license. Check that the car has a full insurance.
- Make two photocopies of each ID that you bring to Punta Cana. Keep the original documents in a safe box and go out only with photocopies.
- Do not drink tap water.
- Do not eat unwashed fruit. Wash the fruit with potable water and peel each fruit if possible.
- Choose accommodation close to the beach. Public transportation is not the best option to move around. If you do not rent a car and stay far from the beach, it will be difficult for you to reach the beach.
- Better not use moto taxis.
- Feel free to bargain. The Dominicans often offer products and services at elevated prices to the tourists.
For more information about what you must know before a trip to the Dominican Republic, check this article.
2. What are fun activities in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic?
Punta Cana features various excursions for adults and kids. If you look for half-day excursions, consider a tour to Dolphin Explorer dolphinarium, to a Dominican ranch and country house, or to the Round Mountain (Montaña Redonda). If you are ready for a longer trip, visit Saona Island, Los Haitises national reserve or go on many other excursions available here.
3. What is the meaning of "Punta Cana" in English?
“Cana” is a name of a type of a palm tree and its fronds that have been used for roofing for centuries. There are many such trees in the area of Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic. “Punta Cana” is literally translated into English as “a white point”; however, it actually means the palm leaves used in construction in this Dominican town.
4. What can a tourist do or see in Punta cana?
The town of Punta Cana is a cozy hospitable location with lovely restaurants, white-sand beaches and secure residential complexes. Some people confuse Punta Cana with Bavaro – another town located in 15-minute car-ride from Punta Cana.
So, Punta Cana features a large shopping mall – Blue Mall Punta Cana, Punta Cana Cafes Street (Galerías Punta Cana) with cafes and restaurants, Playa Blanca beach and restaurant – a white-sand beach ideal for families with children, and Punta Cana residential complex with secure apartments and villas. Punta Cana is a good place for romantic dinners, shopping, and pastime on the beach.
If, however, you want to know what to do in Bavaro that is often considered part of Punta Cana, here you are welcome to nightclubs, such as Coco Bongo, Imagine, or Oro. It also features a street of local bars and Dominican cafes. Most resorts and hotels are located in Bavaro. Plazas with souvenir shops and stores are not far away from hotels.
On Bavaro and Punta Cana beaches, you can do water sports. A kite surfing school is located on Playa Blanca beach of Punta Cana. Several diving centers are located on Bavaro beach of Los Corales and El Cortecito beach.
If you are ready to go outside of the town, check excursions available in Punta Cana and its surroundings for more enjoyable pastime in Punta Cana!
5. What are the best hotels in Punta Cana?
There are many high quality hotels and resorts in Bavaro, a town located in 15-minute ride from Punta Cana. However, these hotels are considered Punta Cana hotels as well. The hotels that usually get the highest scores are Barceló Bavaro Palace Deluxe, Iberostar and Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.
6. How safe is it to travel to Punta Cana?
Punta Cana is the safest touristic zone of the Dominican Republic. If you follow basic safety advice and take necessary precautions, it is hardly probable something bad may happen to you. To learn more about how to stay safe in Punta Cana, read our article.
7. Which is a better place to go for a honeymoon, Cancun or Punta Cana?
It really depends. Cancun and Punta Cana are different resorts, each one featuring its pros and cons. If you are looking for a more romantic and quiet getaway, opt for Punta Cana. If you want to party all night long and do not search for a secluded place only for you and your beloved one, welcome to Cancun. Anyway, both of them are worth visiting and your choice should depend primarily on your particular requirements.
8. What are the differences between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana?
Santo Domingo is the capital of the Dominican Republic with a population of approximately 1 million people. It is a large city of contrasts with much traffic, a lot of attractions, and a varied cultural life. It does not have a beach.
Punta Cana is a touristic town, the most popular touristic center. It features the best beaches in the Dominican Republic, many hotels and developed touristic infrastructure. It is a paradise for those who look for a romantic beach getaway.
9. What is Punta Cana known for?
Punta Cana is known for its developed touristic infrastructure and excellent facilities for beach holidays. It boasts many hotels and resorts, touristic bureaus, and excursion centers. Many excursions start from Punta Cana. It is also one of the most secure regions of the Dominican Republic.
10. What is the best month to visit Punta Cana?
Punta Cana boasts excellent weather throughout the year. Even though some people that it pours here in summer, it is not true. However, summer months are hotter than winter months in Punta Cana. The period from November to April is just perfect if you do not like very hot weather.
If you visit Punta Cana from January to mid-March, you also have a chance to go on an excursion to Samaná and observe great humpback whales. From April to October, the weather is hotter, but it is an excellent time for vacations with kids: it is not breezy on the beach and kids can spend whole days in water.