Punta Cana Travel Restrictions Lifted! – Current Situation in the Dominican Republic 2023
Nowadays, due to quarantine restrictions, the tourism sector is suffering. The Caribbean is no exception. And the fact that 2021 was the best year economically for the Dominican Republic is unbelievable. Moreover, December of the same year was the peak, because the country was visited by more than 700,000 foreign tourists.
In times of a pandemic, it is hard to believe in such a success. Now, the Dominican Republic is the most visited country in the Caribbean. And one of the reasons for the resumption of tourism is the lack of strict entry rules. In this article, we will tell you about the current situation in the country and innovations.
The current situation in the DR
All COVID-19 restrictions lifted! On February 16, 2022, the President of the Dominican Republic announced that there is no longer a need for masks and other pandemic restrictions.
We must say that the government of the Dominican Republic has always been quite loyal. But it is definitely taken to a new level now. After studying this case and following the example of other countries, the government has made a decision. Thus, the Dominican Republic became the first country in Latin America to drop all of its COVID restrictions.
This greatly facilitates the stay of tourists in the country, and they can have the same vacation as it was before the pandemic. Luis Abinader, the President, said: “After this long battle, we begin to regain freedom”. So, all COVID-19 measures are suspended, including mandatory social distancing, mask-wearing, and proof of vaccination for public spaces and private spaces for public use.
Is it safe to travel to Punta Cana due to COVID-19?
Naturally, some people may be afraid of such radical actions on the part of the country’s authorities. The question arises, is it really safe to travel to Punta Cana if all restrictions are lifted? Does this mean workers will not observe precautionary measures and thorough cleaning?
- First of all, we need to say that 54% of the Dominican Republic population is fully vaccinated (as of February 2022).
- In no case does the presidential decree mean that the coronavirus is over in the Dominican Republic.
- President Abinader, during his statement, emphasized that the government would continue to monitor the pandemic. He also insisted that people who did not get the vaccine should get it.
- Despite the lifting of restrictions, vacationing in Punta Cana is safe. In any case, you need to monitor your health and follow the recommendations.
- In any case, tourism workers will monitor the cleanliness of hotels and take basic precautions due to COVID-19.
What are the recommendations from
the Dominican health authorities?
Despite the lifting of many restrictions, there are still recommendations from health authorities that should be followed, which are not obligations but the way to take care of your health. Moreover, do not forget that your country may have its own requirements that are different from the Dominican ones. It is also necessary to know them when you return home. So, let us take a look at some recommendations.
- Wear a mask in crowded places, especially those who are at risk.
- Keep social distance.
- Continue washing and disinfecting your hands thoroughly.
- Avoid large gatherings and crowded events.
Frequently Asked Questions about
Punta Cana Restrictions
1. Can you travel to Punta Cana right now during COVID-19?
Yes, Punta Cana is open for tourists during COVID-19.
2. Do you need a negative Covid test to fly to Punta Cana?
No, there is no proof of a negative COVID-19 test required for entry. Also, you do not have to take a PCR test upon arrival. Nevertheless, airport workers may randomly ask travelers to take a rapid test. But if you already have a negative COVID-19 tested at home, you can just present it to workers. After presenting, they will not ask you to get randomized testing.
3. Which vaccine is being used in the Dominican Republic?
Well, there are four vaccines approved for use in the Dominican Republic. So, let us take a look at which vaccines are acceptable.
- Sinopharm (Beijing)
Moreover, Clover (SCB-2019) is in clinical trials in the Dominican Republic now.
4. How long can a US citizen stay in the Dominican Republic?
There is a tourist card that allows you to visit the Dominican Republic without a need for a consular visa. And having it, you get a legal stay of up to 30 days in the country.
5. How many tourists visited the Dominican Republic in 2021?
Well, there are about 4.44 million foreign passengers have arrived via airports in the Dominican Republic in 2021. We should note that most of them (3.38 million) arrived from America, especially from the United States and Canada. Moreover, December became a record month for the number of foreign passengers. There are about 700 000 tourists who visited the county that month.
6. What happens if you test positive in the Dominican Republic?
Undoubtedly, sometimes unpleasant situations occur when your test comes out positive. While you are at your destination, you will need to isolate and delay your return until you are ready to end your isolation.
Updated on: . Author: