Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the DR before departure to US and Canada?
Although according to the new government regulations issued by the U.S. travel advisory, very soon citizens of the USA will be required to show a negative COVID-19 test before departure home, in the Dominican Republic getting tested for COVID-19 is easy as ABC. The new requirement shouldn’t affect your plans to visit the tropical paradise – the Dominican Republic has enough facilities for all travelers to get tested and receive results quickly and easily before departure.
Mandatory COVID-19 testing for air travellers
coming to the USA and Canada in 2021
Airlines already require a negative test from all passengers above 5 years of age travelling from the Dominican Republic to Canada, fulfilling the government requirement that took force on January 6, 2021.
From January 26, 2021 almost the same requirement applies to the U.S. citizens: the need to present a negative COVID-19 test or the medical certificate proving the recovery from COVID-19 within the last 90 days before departure for all passengers two years of age and over.
In addition, you have to get your test done within three days (72 hours) of departure. Otherwise, present a proof of recovery from the coronavirus within the last 90 days.
Despite all these new requirements, the Dominican Republic continues to be one of the most attractive and easy-to-visit tourist destinations of 2021: the country allows anyone to get tested for COVID-19 with comfort and without wasting much time – this procedure has already proven to be a simple routine not interfering with the tourists’ vacation. We collected all the necessary information for you to know about where you can get the COVID-19 test in the DR with results 48 to 72 hours before your trip back home.
Where can I get Coronavirus test done
in the Dominican Republic?
- If you are in Santo Domingo or Santiago, you can get tested in the Amadita Laboratorio Clinico. You can request a visit to your hotel or see a specialist in person. Take a test at the special collection points located in Santiago or Santo Domingo. You can contact them at WhatsApp: tel. +1 809-682-5412.
- In Referencia Laboratorio Clinico in Santo Domingo, Punta Cana and Bavaro, there is an easy and reliable self-collection method of testing. You will get a set containing materials and instructions for collecting samples. The courier of the laboratory will collect your test. If you are in La Romana, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata contact: tel. +1 809-221-2684 ext. 50. Each test cost 4300 pesos. They can arrive at your villa to gather materials. You should send all your passports to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can get there personally by the address Bavaro, Cocotal, Paseo de Lago Villa 379. However, if you are in Santo Domingo you can report an online request here
- COVID-19 Auto Service. As well, you can get a test from the comfort of your car. You can plan an appointment here.
- You can also have a test at a hospital laboratory. In Punta Cana and Bavaro, the most popular touristic area, samples are collected at Centro Medico Punta Cana, IMG Hospital, Hospiten and other authorized clinics. Please mind that hospital laboratories serve only to take samples which are later sent to specialized equipped laboratories, such as Referencia or Amadita. That is why it may take longer to get a result when you are tested at a hospital laboratory than when you go to the Referencia laboratory directly.
- Other authorized laboratories. Apart from Referencia and Amadita, there are smaller laboratories in all regions, also authorized to collect samples. When going to a smaller laboratory, you will probably spend less time in the line, but will have to wait a bit longer for results. By the way, most laboratories send results via email – there is no need to come back to collect it. Laboratorio Villavicencio gets your result ready in as soon as one hour.
- Home Service. You can have health care professionals come to your hotel or home with personal protective equipment to take your test. Contact them at Referencia WhatsApp: tel. +1 809-221-5545
The US Embassy in the Dominican Republic published a full list of authorized service providers administering the test.
How much does COVID-19 test cost in the DR?
The cost of COVID-19 test in the Dominican Republic ascends to approximately US$75 at private laboratories and costs a bit more at hospital laboratories. Paying this sum one can get tested without spending much time: just come to one of the laboratories mentioned above, pay for your test, get tested and receive your result in as soon as an hour.
Can you get tested for COVID-19 free of charge?
Free testing is available for people meeting certain criteria. Dominican medical insurance companies, such as Humano and Universal, provide medical insurance coverage for Coronavirus tests if a person has been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 or has several symptoms of it.
However, to get the test covered, one has to get a medical prescription and submit an application to the insurance company that will review it and approve/reject the coverage. These procedures may take up to 7-10 days.
International insurance companies have different requirements and rules for travelers. If your travel insurance includes coverage of COVID-19 tests, please confirm it with your medical insurance provider before traveling to the Dominican Republic and ask how to get it covered (whom and when to call).
How long does it take to get test result?
The result is given in as soon as one hour at some private laboratories, such as Laboratorio Villavicencio (Does not offer PCR test but provides Antigen Nasal Swab test, with the cost of RD$ 1,300 and results available within 1 hour). Referencia laboratory makes results available on their site in 48 hours for Santo Domingo laboratories and in 72 hours for laboratories in other provinces, including the area of Punta Cana.
At Amadita laboratory, the results are ready in 24-72 hours. When the sample is collected at a hospital laboratory, the results are sent via email on the next day or in two days, depending on the hospital. Hospital laboratories usually only collect samples to later send them to private laboratories where the test is conducted, and therefore, waiting times are longer. As a rule, the waiting time varies from one hour to 72 hours. So, it is recommended to get tested not later than 2 days before the departure to get your result on time.
For the fastest results, refer to Hospiten Bavaro. Results for PCR test there are provided within 3-4 hours, however, the cost is much higher than at other laboratories – US $228.00.
The Dominican Republic entry
and exit requirements COVID-19
- Airports remain fully operational. Although passengers are required to fill out an E-Ticket or paper form of this ticket when entering and exiting the DR. At the airport you can show the generated E-Ticket code on your phone.
- Are U.S. and Canadian citizens permitted to enter? Yes. The Dominican Republic borders are open for travellers from all over the world, inlcuding the US and Canadian citizens.
- Do you need to have a negative COVID-19 test to enter the DR? No. You do not need to have a negative test to enter the country, however, some passengers will be randomly invited to be tested at the airport. It usually takes no more than 15-20 minutes.
- Do you need to have a negative Coronavirus test to depart from the DR? Yes (not for all destinations though). From January 6, 2021, all passengers travelling to Canada (except for kids below 5 years of age) are required to have a test result before departing. The same rule applies to the passengers travelling to the U.S. from January 26.
Do I need a PCR test before leaving the DR
with destination to the US?
Travelers bound for the United State on international flights must have a viral test: PCR or antigen tests – both of them work. Please note the test must be a viral test (PCR or antigen) and NOT an antibody test. In the DR both tests are available, however, some laboratories do not offer PCR (Villavicencio Bavaro does not offer PCR).
Before leaving the Dominican Republic, go to a hospital or private laboratory and ask to be PCR-tested for COVID-19. Remember that the test time frame should be no more than three days before your flight.
Nonetheless, The DR government does it all for the safety of their citizens and travelers coming to the country. They strictly follow all the quarantine and sanitary rules. Many people come to the DR for vacation and – good news – the country remains open for all travellers! It is still one of the safest travel destinations.
We did this research for you so that nothing spoils your vacation and you know how and where to get your COVID-19 test in due time before departure.
If you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us! We will gladly help you with all the organizational aspects of your vacation, so you can enjoy it to the fullest! Write to us on WhatsApp, on our email (email@example.com), or online-chat on the website.
Updated on: . Author: